Basic technology tutorials for the JSS 1 students. This tutorial is based on the current curriculum for the subject. Of course, it doesn’t cover everything, however, it covered some of the introductory stuff. I have made it in form of questions and answers on basic technology for the JSS 1 students. Let’s start…
Basic Technology for JSS 1
What is Technology?
Technology is the knowledge and skills for making or using things that make work or life easier for us.
Products of Technology
Products of Technology include: car, phone, torchlight, camera, house, internet, electricity, television, and radio.
Things that not technology
Things that are not technology include non –manmade things like stone, river, tree, sunlight, and wind.
Benefits of Technology
- Faster and more convenient means of transportation
- Faster and easier means of communication
- Improved crop yield
- Improved health care
- Improved ways of learning
Topic: Workshop Safety Rules and Regulations
What is safety?
Safety is the quality of preventing or not causing injury, danger, or loss.
What is accident?
Accidents are events occurring by chance, which result in injury to people or damage to property.
Two categories of causes of accidents in the workshop
- Unsafe actions
- Unsafe conditions
Examples of unsafe actions
- Entering the workshop in a disorderly manner
- Failure to use safety devices
- Failure to follow safety rules and regulations for the workshop
- Failure to follow proper procedures for handling tools and machines
Examples of unsafe conditions
- Slippery or wet floors
- Absence of safety devices
- Working in the workshop when one is sick or tired
How to prevent accidents in a workshop?
Dressing safely for workshop
- Dress correctly for workshop practice
- Do not wear watches, bracelets, rings or long-sleeve shirts
- Long-sleeve shirts must be rolled above the elbows if they are to be worn in a workshop
- If your hair is long, tie or cover it up before you walk into the workshop
- Wear special shoes for protection
- Wear gloves for hand protection
Working safely with hand tools
- Make sure that your hands and tools are clean and free of oil or grease
- Carry tools safely
- Use cutting tools that are sharp
- Use tools that are in good condition
- Do not play or walk around the workshop with tools in your hand
- Do not put any sharp tools in your pocket
- Be very careful when handling sharp, pointed and sharp-edged tools
- Do not cut towards yourself
- Report damaged tools the person in charge of the workshop
- Do not throw tools to anyone
- Clean tools after use and return them back to their shelf or box
Working safely with machines
- Do not use any machine unless you have been taught how to use it
- Do not start a machine you don’t know how to stop
- Ask the instructor or attendant when in doubt of what to do
- Do not operate the machine until the cutting tools and the work piece are secured and properly mounted
- Do not touch the moving parts of a machine
- Do not talk to anyone or get distracted while operating a machine
- Stop the machine before you clean it
- Use brush, not your hands, to remove metal chips
- Wear google when using a drilling machine or during any machine operations that produces chips
- Never try to stop any moving part of a machine with your hands
- Be careful not to touch any live (naked) wire
- Do not lean on electrical machines
- Switch off machines after use
Working safely with hot materials
- work in a well ventilated space
- wear protective gloves especially when handling hot objects
- use proper devices and tongs to hold hot metals
- avoid inhaling smoke of fumes produced by heat
Safety devices are used to protect human beings from accidents or to protect machines and tools for damages.
Examples of safety devices found in the workshops
- Apron or overalls
- Fire extinguishers
- Water and water-hoses
- Fire alarm
- Sand bucket and sand
Firefighting safety equipment
Examples of firefighting equipment are fire extinguishers, water and dry sand.
Two types of fire that usually occur in a workshop
- Chemical fire
- Electrical fire
Tagged: Basic technology past questions and answers, basic tech past questions, JSS 1 past questions and answers, past questions and answers on basic technology, basic technology for JSS 1
- NYSC Lagos corpers WhatsApp Group chat 2021
- JSS2 Past Questions and Answers on Basic Technology