Youth empowerment is certainly a hot topic in Nigeria, and this topic has been gaining momentum globally. Youth empowerment is crucial for the growth and development of any society or nation and should be taken seriously.
However, what is youth empowerment? What benefits does youth empowerment contribute to a society or nation? Why is it important for a country to empower its youths to reach their full potential?
Stay with me and read to the end as we journey together into this topic to empower our youth and create a better future.
What Is Youth Empowerment?
Youth empowerment refers to the process of giving young people the tools, resources, and opportunities they need to take control of their lives and shape their futures.
This includes providing education, support, and access to resources and decision-making power so that young people can actively participate in creating a better future for themselves and their communities.
Empowerment of youth can lead to a reduction in poverty, an increase in economic growth, and a stronger society.
RECOMMENDED: 10 Reasons Why Graduates Are Not Employable
Examples Of Youth Empowerment
- Education: Providing young people with access to quality education that equips them with the knowledge, skills, and critical thinking ability to make informed decisions and become active citizens.
- Skills Development: Offering training and mentorship programs that help young people develop the technical and life skills they need to succeed in the workforce and participate fully in their communities.
- Entrepreneurship and Employment: Encouraging and supporting young people to start their businesses and providing them with access to employment opportunities and career development resources.
- Civic Engagement: Providing young people with opportunities to participate in decision-making processes and public discourse, including through youth-led organizations, youth parliaments, and community-based initiatives.
- Health and Wellness: Promoting physical and mental health and wellness among young people through education and access to resources, such as healthcare and support services.
- Technology and Innovation: Encouraging young people to use technology and innovation to address social and economic challenges, and providing them with the resources and support they need to succeed.
- Art and Culture: Empowering young people to express themselves creatively and culturally and to participate in cultural activities that enrich their lives and communities.
In summary, youth empowerment is a multifaceted process that seeks to equip young people with the skills, resources, and opportunities they need to become active and responsible citizens, capable of shaping their own lives and contributing to the well-being of their communities.
Benefits Of Youth Empowerment
1. Reduction In Crime Rate
Poor education, poverty, and unemployment are major reasons why youths engage in crime and violence. With these factors, a high level of criminal activities will always occur in society.
However, youth empowerment can lead to a reduction in crime rate as it provides young people with opportunities, resources, and support to make positive life choices and to become productive and responsible members of society.
When young people have access to education, employment, and other resources, they are less likely to engage in criminal activities and are more likely to become productive members of society.
FIND OUT: 8 Important Skills Set You Should Have Before Graduation
2. Eradication Of Poverty
Poverty eradication is one of the most significant benefits of youth empowerment.
Empowering young people can help to eradicate poverty in several ways. By providing education and job training programs, young people can acquire the skills and knowledge needed to obtain well-paying jobs and become financially independent. That, in turn, can improve their standard of living and help them escape poverty.
Additionally, when young people are involved in community development projects and are encouraged to start their businesses, they can create jobs and stimulate economic growth.
That can help to reduce poverty in their communities and create a virtuous cycle of economic development.
3. Creation of Employment
Empowering the youth will lead to the creation of new employment opportunities. By providing education, resources, and job training programs, young people can acquire the skills and knowledge needed to obtain well-paying jobs and become productive members of society.
When the youth are empowered and encouraged to become entrepreneurs and start businesses, it will lead to the development of new products and services, the introduction of new and innovative technologies, and the growth of new markets.
With this, young people can create job opportunities and add to the economic growth of the nation.
4. Increased Political Engagement
When young people are empowered, they become more politically active and engaged, leading to a more informed and participatory democracy.
READ ALSO: Lucrative Skills To Learn As A Student (in Nigeria)
5. Increased Innovation and Creativity
Empowered youth are often more innovative and creative, which helps to generate fresh ideas and solutions for societal problems.
6. Improved Global Citizenship
To address global concerns and promote a more peaceful and sustainable world, youth empowerment enables young people to recognize their place in it and take appropriate action.
7. Improved Confidence and Self-Esteem
Empowered young people make better decisions and have greater independence because empowerment increases their self-esteem and confidence.